SOS 2018 THEME – “OCEAN SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT – CONNECTING ASIA AND THE WORLD”
Since 2010, the SOS has been the unique gathering of the world’s ocean industries focused on the sustainable development, science and stewardship of the global ocean.
The SOS 2018 theme of “Ocean Sustainable Development – Connecting Asia and the World”, recognizes:
- The major role that Asia plays in the global economy through trade and maritime transport.
- The size and growth of the economies and population of Asian countries.
- The national, regional and international importance of many key ocean industries in Asia, g. shipping, shipbuilding, fisheries, aquaculture, etc.
- The global interconnectness of the ocean, the ocean economy and the ocean business community.
- The need to address ocean sustainable development and the U.N. Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) at a global scale with all ocean business sectors.
The SOS uniquely brings together leadership companies from the diverse Ocean Business Community: shipping, oil and gas, fisheries, aquaculture, seabed mining, tourism, renewable energy, ports, dredging, mining, submarine cables, marine science, engineering and technology, the maritime legal, financial and insurance communities, and others – as well as ocean stakeholders from the government, inter-governmental, academic and environment communities.
The SOS 2018 program is being developed with input from the international ocean business community, with the following sessions under consideration/development.
- Ocean Executive Forum: The Signature SOS Multi-Sector Panel of CEOs
- Asian Shipping: Leadership and Challenges in Connecting Asia and the World
- Asian Ports and Sustainable Development
- Shipbuilding for Sustainability: The Role of Shipyards and Vessel Construction in Supporting Sustainable Development Across the Sectors
- One Belt, One Road, One Ocean: Ensuring the Maritime Silk Road to Leads to a Sustainable Destination
- Women in Ocean Industries: Leadership and Sustainable Development
- Blockchain and the Ocean Economy: Linking Blockchain Around the World and Across the Sectors in Support of Sustainable Development
- The Digital Ocean, Big Ocean Data and the Ocean Cloud
- Ocean 2030: Ocean Industry Projections and the Future of the Ocean Economy (covering ocean transportation, energy, food, tourism, and minerals)
- Ocean Investment Platform: Financing Ocean Sustainable Development in Asia
- Ocean Cleanup Vessels: Experience, Innovation and Practical Solutions for Collecting Plastics and Other Debris from Waters and Island Areas
- Port Reception Facilities: Delivering Plastic and Marine Debris Disposal Needs at a Global, Multi-Sectoral Scale
- Marine Sound: Advancing Science-Based Solutions to a Global, Multi-Industry Issue
- Biofouling and Invasive Aquatic Species: The GEF-UNDP-IMO GloFouling Partnerships Project – opportunities for the private sector
OCEAN AND CLIMATE
- Ocean NETs: Responsible Negative Emissions Technologies (NETs) for CO2 Sequestration at Sea
- Port Resiliency to Sea Level Rise and Extreme Events: Ocean Industry Collaboration to Advance Adaptation for Small Islands and Developing Countries
- Arctic Sustainable Development and the Northern Sea Route
FOOD SECURITY: SUSTAINABLE FISHING AND AQUACULTURE
- Aquaculture: Ensuring Sustainable Production in Crowded Seas
- Fisheries: Reducing Pirate Fishing Through Cross-Sectoral Collaboration and Technology Development
OCEAN KNOWLEDGE, RESEARCH AND TECHNOLOGY
- Smart Ocean-Smart Industries: Advancing Ocean Industry Data Collection from Ships and Platforms
- Seabed 2030: Ocean Industry Input to Global Seafloor Mapping
OCEAN GOVERNANCE AND PLANNING
- UN Law of the Sea: New Legally Binding Instrument on Biodiversity in Areas Beyond National Jurisdiction (BBNJ) and Ocean Industries
- Wind Energy and Fisheries: Addressing Conflicts and Developing Synergies
- Young Ocean Professionals: Connecting Asia’s Future Industry Leaders with the World of Ocean Sustainable Ocean Development
- Maritime Cluster for Sustainable Development: Prospects and Progress in Asia
Invitation only event
- CEOcean Club: A Networking Reception for the SOS 2018 C-Suite and VIP Participants
More detailed information on these topics and a Call for Abstracts will be available soon.
Interested parties are invited to propose session themes that they would like to sponsor and organize. Please contact email@example.com to propose a topic or session at SOS 2018. The evolving SOS 2018 program will reflect the level of interest in these and potentially other topics.
Sustainable Ocean Summit 2018: Workshops
Interested parties are invited to propose workshops that they would like to sponsor and organize in the days preceding or following the SOS 2018. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to propose a workshop to be held in association with SOS 2018.